Thursday, October 1, 2009

When Hunger Strikes a Roadfood junkie

I can’t always be running the roads in search of roadfood. There are days when work around the farm just has to get done.
‘Hungry as a horse’, ‘feed the masses’, ‘stomach is touching the back bone’, whatever justification I can use for eating out sometimes gives way to getting out the fry pan and cooking up a storm.

When the roadfood junkie cooks, it has to be fast and simple but tasty. I ignore calories. I also like to trial recipes that I pick up around the web. I have found that tastes differ dramatically from web cooks, or is it, that some recipes are just plain out to lunch? Did they forget a few ingredients? Also, does the recipe feed one hungry person, or an army of diners? I have wasted a few ingredients by not digesting the recipe first.

A person surfing the web late at night can be sure the munchies will take hold of ones inner-self like a claw hammer, and pound you into submission if you are not strong enough to resist temptation.

I came across a site talking about Spam. Suddenly! the lights of food from days gone by came on.....Spam! Wasn’t that what we sometimes ate as a kid? Next day the Roadfood Junkie's fat mobile made the trip to search for Spam. Never realizing, Spam, is still a popular food. I made the purchase and headed straight home to make my very own Spam sandwich.



Spam and Sauerkraut cooking


Sauerkraut and Spam, touch of mustard on White.
Top it off with some dill slices and a slice of cheese, and you have a sandwich fit for any roadfoodie. Hey! a fellows got to use what is on hand.



How to build a quality Spam sandwich

Finished product ready to enjoy. Maybe an Italian roll would make a difference but it was awfully good on fresh white bread.



Spam sandwich on white


Another recipe I was dying to try was Texas Hot Sauce. Hot dogs smothered in a sauce with mustard and chopped onion. Being the hot dog freak that I am, and being that the clock had not struck midnight and not afraid to turn into a pumpkin, I cranked up the heat and put a pot on the burner.

Cooking Texas Hot Sauce


The finish product was quite good. The recipe made enough to open my own hot dog stand. I put the left over sauce in ice cube trays and froze the remainder for another day.


Texas Hots

The finished product was grilled Schneider wieners with mustard, onions on steamed buns and smothered in Texas Hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment